Business Meeting Minutes
September 20, 2017
Called to order by President Tara Boling at 6:37 pm.
Those present: Gerald Brown, Deb Brown, Marilyn Pulford, Cheryl Boling, John Bethard, Kathy Nesseler, Marc Nesseler, Tara Boling, Anke Maas, Denny Reichenbacher, Karin Hamburg, Anne Hoeper, Mike Hoeper.
Acceptance of Consent Agenda motioned by Cheryl Boling and seconded by Tara Boling.
Correction to last month’s minutes: The request by Jan Haugen to Cheryl Boling for a donation of $2000 to ARC was referred to the Charity Committee. Accepted by Cheryl Boling and seconded by Anke Maas.
No payments for approval this month.
The first order of business was to vote on the six proposed 2017 Bylaws Amendments for the Parrot Heads in Paradise (PHiP).
Item 1: Place time restriction on when new clubs may form after a club closure in
the same area.
– A Yes vote adds the following: The successor club may not begin to operate for 365 days from the day that PHiP, Inc. officially recognizes the closure of the first club.
– A No vote retains the following language: Should a particular club leader relinquish his/her leadership role, leaving said club without a proper and viable current membership roster, and no other member of that club has access to said roster, then that club leader’s successor may request, in writing, a copy of the current membership roster from PHiP, Inc. In such an event, prior to preventing the membership roster to the new leadership, the PHiP Board of Directors shall make reasonable attempt to contact the former club leader for verification, and both past and present club leaders shall be made aware of the pending transaction.
Motion to Vote NO by John Bethard. Seconded by Marc Nesseler.
Item 2: Remove tie-breaker method for PHiP Board of Directors Voting.
– A Yes vote will remove the following from Section V, Paragraph B,
Item 1: All votes ending in a tie shall be decided by the vote of the Founder of PHiP, Inc.
– A No vote will retain the following: The Executive Committee shall be the President,
Vice-President, Director of Finance, Secretary and Director of Membership.
Each Executive Committee member shall have one (1) vote on all matters before the Executive Committee.All votes ending in a tie shall be decided by the vote of the Founder of PHiP, Inc.
Motion to vote YES by Deb Brown. Seconded by Marilyn Pulford.
Item 3: Remove the Founder from the PHiP Board of Directors.
– A Yes vote will remove the Founder from Section V, Paragraph B, Item 3, Sub-Item a.
– A No vote will retain the verbiage with the Founder as a listed member of Directors which reads: The Board of Directors of PHiP, Inc., shall be the Executive Committee, the Founder, the Director of Communications, the Director of Conventions, and any additional positions deemed necessary to manage PHiP, Inc.
Motion to vote YES by Deb Brown. Seconded by Cheryl Boling. Motion Passed.
Item 4: Remove Permanent Advisor Seats from the PHiP Board of Directors.
– A Yes vote will remove SectionV, Paragraph B, Item 4: There shall be two (2)
permanent, non-voting advisor positions eligible to be filled by Margaritaville, Inc., at their discretion.
– A No vote will retain the section referenced above.
Motion to ABSTAIN by Deb Brown. Seconded by Denny Reichenbacher.
Item 5: Eliminate Director of Communications position from the PHiP Board of Directors
– A Yes vote will remove the Director of Communications position and all mentions in
the Bylaws thereof.
– A No vote will retain the Director of Communications position.
Motion to vote NO by Marc Nesseler. Seconded by Denny Reichenbacher.
Item 6: Eliminate the specific Vice-President duties as it relates to convention and meeting planning.
– A Yes vote will remove the following from Section VI, Paragraph B, Item 3 :Participate in solicitation of bid, site selection of conventions and official gatherings, attend planning sessions when necessary and be knowledgeable
in all aspects of meeting planning for the organization.
– A No vote will retain the above verbiage.
Motion to ABSTAIN by Marc Nesseler. Seconded by Joh Berthard.
The Sept. 14 HDD meeting had six attendees. Ticket sales have been slowing, but it is still early. About 38 – 40% of tables have been sold. Tara Boling will speak to Justin Forgie about having the capability to sell HDD tickets onFacebook.
Marc Nesseler spoke more about the Reverse Auction possibility for HDD. He suggested a time limit with a possible ending of the auction on or about Jan. 20 in order to not jeopardize 50/50 sales at HDD.
Games such as bags and beer pong variations were also suggested for HDD.
There will be no October HDD meeting; next HDD meeting will be in November.
Trivia Night Update: Trivia Night is Oct. 14 at the Knights of Columbus in Davenport. Doors open at 5:30. Trivia to begin at 6:15. Approximately 12-14 tables of 8 have been sold so far.
Cheryl Boling shared the new check replicas (made by Marilyn and Craig Pulford) that will be presented to our charities. Marc suggested that Marilyn and Craig make check replicas from all of the years of HDD to be displayed at HDD. Marc Nesseler will get the dates, amounts and recipients to Marilyn. Marc will update posters as well for display at HDD.
Deb Brown discussed a database site developed by Linda Watson that lets charities find groups such as ours to which they can apply for funding. She suggested we become part of this database. Motion to pass by Anne Hoeper and seconded by Jerry Brown.
Membership report: We have 336 members, although not all have paid their renewals. Melissa Aikman will send reminder messages to those members.
Dates to remember:
Sept. 23 House Concert North Central Parrot Head Club
Sept. 27 Social at Moline Bier Stube
Sept. 30 Dubuque PHC One Particular Harbor
Oct. 13 Whiskey’s Gone at RME 8pm
Oct. 14 Trivia Night
Oct. 25 Social at Caddy’s in Bettendorf
Motion to adjourn at 7:25 by Denny Reichenbacher. Seconded by Anne Hoeper.